Diabetic eye disease is a group of eye problems that people with diabetes may face as a complication of the disease. Anyone with diabetes is at risk for vision loss or blindness from diabetic eye disease.
Ways that diabetic eye disease may affect your eyes:
- Cataract: Clouding of the lens of the eye
- Diabetic retinopathy: damage to the blood vessels in the retina
Unfortunately, diabetic eye disease has no warning signs, however, early detection and timely treatment can help reduce the risks.
The best ways to manage your diabetes and keep your eyes healthy are:
- Have an annual, comprehensive dilated eye examination with Shaaf Eye Center, which is one of the best ways to detect early signs of diabetic eye disease.
- To manage your blood glucose, blood pressure, and cholesterol, sometimes called the diabetes ABCs.
- If you smoke, get help to quit smoking.